Rituals, health habits or traditions — whatever you want to call them, these are important habits that we are committed to as a family.
This video was so fun to put together because it’s not very often that we get to do it as a family. That’s because Walker is always behind the camera. This time we set up the camera on a tripod and hit record to share our six family rituals. (Story behind the photo below…)
Rituals, health habits or traditions — whatever you want to call them, these are important habits that we are committed to as a family. It is not about perfection however, it’s about taking positive steps each day to ensure that we care for each other’s wellness, and we make ita priority as a family.
Here’s the video.
That photo makes me LOL because Vienna doesn’t really realize she is now nearly 40lbs and jumped right on to Walker’s lap and ahem… man parts! haha!
Here’s a super quick summary of our family rituals
1. Movement: We walk as often as possible — to go grocery shopping , random errands, to our local indie coffee shop, to get Walker and V a croissant! We make movement part of every day. Sometimes that means an Obe workout for me , other days it’s getting my 10,000 steps.
2. Downtime: This means quiet time — whether it’s napping, reading a book or for me, practising meditation.
3. Nature: We get a dose of nature every single day. Which includes watering the flowers and caring for our herbs in our urban garden , walking or biking in our favourite green space in Toronto, High Park.
4. Eating together: Togetherness is super important to me. I grew up having a family tradition of eating at least one meal together as a family so that is something that we’ve made a priority. Vienna loves grabbing an affirmation card for us to read together and talk about. It’s a great conversation starter.
5. Storytime: Since Vienna was born we read three books to her at bedtime. We established this routine when she was a baby and it’s something we both look forward to because every 2 nights one of us gets the night off! Meaning, Walker does the bedtime routine with Vienna 2 nights and then I do it 2 nights.
6. Natural Health Supplements: Aside from eating yummy and nourishing food, we all take natural health supplements. As you might well know, Vienna takes the kid’s line from Genuine Health which includes a probiotic, fish oil (it has vitamin D in it) and a gut superfoods powder (22 organic and fermented superfoods) and Walker and I take supplements as well.
What are your family rituals?
Thanks for watching and I hope to learn what rituals you have. Whether you have a family or not, rituals are important for your well-being and self-care. Most of these rituals, excluding story time were a part of my life before we had a family.